150 g egg whites • 70 g sugar • 1 g cream of tartar • 40 g fine granulated sugar 90 g egg yolks • 20 g butter • 45 g cream
1. Caramelize 70 g sugar in a saucepan; add in butter and cream to make toffee. Then add in wholegrain rice powder and stir to mix well.
2. When the dough has cooled down, mix in egg yolks to combine.
3. Make meringue – whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy, gradually add in granulated sugar and continue to whisk until medium peak.
4. Using a spatula, slowly mix the two mixtures together until combined.
5. Divide batter to 3 portions of equal weight, preheat oven to 180ºC. Pour the batter on a 14 x 14 inch tray lined with parchment paper. Bake in oven for 20 minutes until cooked.
Caramelized Banana Fillings:
170 g caster sugar • 30 g butter • 2 g salt • 80 g cream • 200 g banana, thinly sliced
Place sugar on a saucepan and cook until caramelized, add in butter and cream, turn off heat and stir to combine. Combine the toffee sauce, salt with banana and spread evenly on a baking pan, bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, keep aside.
150 g cream • 30 g caster sugar • 3 sheets of toffee sponges
1 portion of banana toffee • handful of caramelized almonds
Whip cream with caster sugar until peak. Fill into a piping bag fitted with star- nozzle. Spread banana toffee on top of two toffee sponges, pipe whipped cream over. Cover one sponge on top of another and top with the third sheet of sponge. Dress the top layer with whipped cream and sprinkle with almonds.